Submitted by Jenny Hull on Mon, 10/10/2016 - 14:58
- BIM – BIM technology now makes it possible to intelligently incorporate detailed information on wall elements and design properties, such as UL assemblies based on fire-rating requirements, STC sound ratings and limiting height design.
- EQ Coatings – These specialized, high-performance coatings add to the corrosion resistance of the existing base coating of steel framing members; in many cases exceeding the performance of traditional G40 steel.
- Resilient Channels – Steel resilient channels are one of the most effective, low-cost methods of improving sound transmission loss through wood and steel frame partitions.
- Adjustable Studs – Adjustable studs, like TRAKLOC® from ClarkDietrich, allow contractors to order one length member and “adjust” the length accordingly for variances in the slab.
- Innovative Manufacturing – Manufacturers now produce EQ studs with higher yield strength than traditional studs using less steel, which helps support the mission of sustainable construction. In fact, the industry’s most recognized name in steel framing, the ProSTUD® Drywall Framing System is an EQ stud.
- Curved Studs – Cold-formed steel framing is quite versatile. There are now studs available for elaborate and complex contoured architecture, including dramatic sweeping soffits and bulkheads, curved or rounded walls, wavy ceilings, barrel vaults, arched and contoured openings, round or oval columns, and elliptical and eyebrow curves.
- Integrated Framing Systems – Integrated steel framing systems, such as those developed with passive fire-stop technology incorporated into the steel framing member, save time and help ensure inhabitants’ safety.
- Pre-Engineered Systems – Many times pre-engineered systems like RedHeader PRO™, which reduce the number of components needed to frame rough openings, significantly reduce the on-site labor to assemble multiple window or door structures.
- Hybrid CFS Joist Systems – Steel joists offer consistent quality, predictable performance and high strength-to-weight ratio, and they are dimensionally stable. They won’t expand, contract or shrink; they won’t warp, crack or twist—making them perfect for both residential and commercial projects.
- Mobile Design Tools – There’s an app for that. There are now mobile apps to help architects and contractors evaluate purchasing decisions and assist in product selection for steel framing projects, including access to cost-saving calculators and submittal forms.