PVC Casing Bead with Built-in Backer Rod & Embeddable Flange
ClarkDietrich BackerBead® eliminates the need to install a backer rod separately, as the product features a factory-applied backer rod that is affixed to the vinyl casing bead and set to the exact height and depth. This allows the installer to create a “gap” on the wall without the hassle of aligning it in the field, thereby saving time and materials.
ClarkDietrich E-Flange™ embeddable stucco profiles provide 80% more embedment than standard "flat flange" profiles. E-Flange allows for more stucco mix to flow through the flange, providing a more thorough and consistent embedment. The unique E-Flange shape also allows for quick and easy tying of lath and other accessories; no more fishing the wire tie under flat flanges.
Features / Benefits:
- Combination Bead - Reduces steps in the field installation of casing bead and separate backer rod. Ensures backer rod is installed around all door and window openings.
- Improved Quality - Factory-applied blue backer rod with preset width and depth to ensure proper caulk gap for sealant application. When the gap is properly caulked, the blue backer rod will no longer be visible.
- Separation of Dissimilar Materials - Properly terminates stucco and mortar at window and door frames.
- Sealant Compatibility - Closed-cell backer rod compatible with elastomeric and other cold-applied sealants.
Product Data & Ordering Information
|Product code||Ground (in.)||Size (in.)||Pcs./Box|
|6658EFBB||5/8"||1-3/4" flange width perforations||50|
Lengths: All 10-foot long standard. Custom lengths upon request.
Colors: Available in white, tan, brown or gray.
Backer Rod: Blue standard, white backer rod optional (for clear sealants)
- Factory applied backer rod is adhered with set back of 1/4" from the leading edge of the ground on BackerBead casing bead products, unless noted.
- BackerBead also available with a solid 1-3/4" flange upon request.
- Backer Rod also available in white upon request for clear sealant applications.
- E-Flange design embeds with stucco 80% more than flat flange profiles.
- Raised E-Flange height is approximately 3/16"
- U.S. Patent Number D842,496; D843,015
- Passed ASTM E331 - Standard Test Method for Water Penetration of Exterior Windows, Skylights, Doors, and Curtain Walls by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference. This ASTM performance covers the determination of the resistance of exterior windows, curtain walls, skylights, and doors to water penetration when water is applied to the outdoor face and exposed edges simultaneously with a uniform static air pressure at the outdoor face higher than the pressure at the indoor face. Stucco was tested in this condition both with the BackerBead® and caulking, vs. no bead and caulked gap, which did not pass the E331 test. Test results are available upon request.
ASTM & Code Standards:
- Vinyl Material: Complies with ASTM D1784 and ASTM C1063, Table 1, PVC for exterior use.
- Backer Rod: Closed cell material per ASTM C1330, square, flexible continuous lengths of extruded polyethylene foam used as a backing material.
- Tensile Strength (ASTM D5249) …5.5 psi, 38.2 (kPa)
- Density (ASTM D1622)…..1.3-2.3 lb/cu.ft., 20-37 kg/cu.mtr (avg.)
- ASTM E331 - Standard Test Method for Water Penetration of Exterior Windows, Skylights, Doors, and Curtain Walls by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference - PASSED
- E-Flange shape provides for less surface contact with the substrate and greater contact with lath, for a more fully embedded assembly per ASTM C1861 & C1063
- SDS & Product Certification Information is available at www.clarkdietrich.com/SupportDocs
Prior to setting the BackerBead, clean all surfaces to receive the bead and remove any debris. Dry off surfaces. Have the backer rod touch the adjacent surface continuously on the trim. Refer to sealant manufacturer’s recommendations on caulking this gap with a high-performance sealant. Wire-tie the E-Flange into the lath, as outlined in ASTM C1063. Use rib areas of E-Flange as wire access points.