ProSTUD® Allowable screw design values (lb.)
- Allowable screw connection capacities are based on Section E4 of the AISI S100-12 Specification.
- When connecting materials of different steel thicknesses or tensile strengths, use the lowest values. Tabulated values assume two sheets of equal thickness are connected.
- Screw shear and tension capacities were developed using published screw manufacturer data and evaluation reports available at the time of publication.
- Screw capacities are based on Allowable Strength Design (ASD) and include a safety factor of 3.0.
- When multiple fasteners are used, screws are assumed to have a center-to-center spacing of at least three times the nominal diameter (d).
- Screws are assumed to have a center-of-screw to edge-of-steel dimension of at least 1-1/2 times the nominal diameter (d) of the screw.
- Tension capacity is based on the lesser of pullout capacity in sheet closest to screw tip, or pullover capacity for sheet closest to screw head (using head diameter).
- Screw capacities are governed by a conservative estimate of screw capacity, not by sheet steel failure.
- For higher screw capacities, especially for screw strength, use specific screws from specific manufacturer. See manufacturer’s data for specific allowable values and installation instructions.
- Contact ClarkDietrich Technical Services at 888-437-3244 for questions about Screw Connections into ProSTUD Drywall Framing.